Canada Study Permit

The number of international post-secondary students in Canada is over 650,000, making up more than 20 per cent of the overall student body.

A Study Permit is a document issued by (IRCC) Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada that allows you to study in Canada for a limited time.

Step by Step guide for International Student (aged 18 or over):

Obtaining a first study permit:

1. If you are a prospective student, you should first decide what sort of program you wish to pursue and determine which institution is the best fit for your field of study. Schools must be on the designated learning institutions list.

2. Once one or more places of study have been identified, you should learn what you must do to get admission.

3. Once acceptance to one or more schools has been obtained, you can begin applying for a study permit and, if necessary, a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV). A TRV may be required if you are a citizen of a country from which IRCC requires TRVs for entry into Canada. This is not required for citizens of visa-exempt countries.

  • When applying for a study permit, it is important to remember that IRCC may require you to undergo medical examinations and provide Police Clearance Certificates.
  • If you wish to study in Montreal or another city in the Province of Quebec you will also require approval from immigration authorities of the Government of Quebec.

After arrival:

Once you arrive in Canada, you must maintain your student permit and obtain work authorization. You must also remain enrolled and make reasonable and timely progress towards completing your program; failure to do so could lead to your removal from Canada.

1. After obtaining a study permit, students may need to renew or change the study permit during their studies in Canada.

2. Depending on your program, you may be eligible to work while studying. Full-time students no longer need a work permit if they are enrolled full-time. Study permits will automatically authorize the holder to work off-campus for up to 20 hours per week during the academic session and full-time during scheduled breaks without the need to apply for a separate work permit. The study permit holder must be pursuing academic, vocational or professional training of six months or more that leads to a degree, diploma or certificate at a designated institution.

After graduation, many students choose to stay in Canada to live and work:

A study permit becomes invalid 90 days following the completion of studies unless the foreign national also possesses a valid work permit or another authorization to remain in Canada. Many graduates are eligible to receive post-graduation work permits to facilitate their stay. Eligible international graduates are authorized to work full-time after their studies are completed until a decision is made on their application for a Post-Graduation Work Permit.

A post-graduation work permit may help facilitate an application for Canadian Permanent Residency, primarily through either the Canadian Experience Class or Quebec Experience Class.

For the student who is underaged 18 or below, Lanes Consulting may have a tailor-made programme for you. Parents, please call us now and find out how our unique approach may help you to protect and watch your beloved child aboard.