Lonely Canadian

Under the “Lonely Canadian Program” or the “Other Relative Program,” a Canadian citizen or permanent resident can sponsor one adult son or daughter, brother, sister, uncle, aunt, niece or nephew to immigrate to Canada. If that extended family member is married or has children, the person being sponsored can bring their immediate family with them to Canada. But the person being sponsored has to be related to the sponsor by blood.

To sponsor such a relative, however, the Canadian must show that they do not have a spouse, common-law partner, child, parent or grandparent or child who is either a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident, or who is a foreigner that can be sponsored. For example, if a Canadian citizen is married, they cannot sponsor their uncle to immigrate. The program is designed to favour persons who do not have relations in Canada and cannot sponsor immediate family.

The normal rules of sponsorship apply, and the Canadian sponsor would need to enter into an undertaking with the Government of Canada, committing to being financially responsible for their relative for 20 years (depending on their age and how you’re related) after they immigrate.